Jamshedpur, June 20: Mrs. Keoke Monroe Perin Memorial School, popularly also known as KMPM School, was established on June 21, 1915. It is the first school founded in Jamshedpur.
Originally, the building was a courthouse which was later converted into a school and had Hindi and Bengali as two mediums of instruction. Three years later, a primary school for girls, middle and high schools were also established.
The school is named after Mrs. Keoke Monroe Perin, wife of Charles Page Perin, who showed immense interest in basic education of children in Jamshedpur.
In 1923, the first batch of six students appeared at the School Leaving Certificate examination. In 1936, for the first time, the students received the printed questions papers. In1942, the building was occupied as a military hospital. The school was shifted to the South Park Middle School building. The school came back to its original building in 1946.
In the late 1980s, the original building of the school was converted into a college, and consequently, KMPM Inter College, was established. It catered to class 11 and 12. The College had its last batch in 2016.
Over the years, the School has undergone many changes. Today, it is called as Mrs. KMPM Vocational College, a unit of JUSCO Education Mission Foundation, a registered trust established in 2008 by Jamshedpur Utilities and Services Company (now Tata Steel Utilities & Infrastructure Services Ltd.). The college is affiliated to Kolhan University, Chaibasa, Jharkhand. The College offers courses on BBA, BCA, B.Sc (IT), B.Sc (Environment & Water Management), B.Sc (Maths) & B.Sc (Chemistry). Spread across five acres of green cover, the College is located on the Main Road, Bistupur, a landmark with striking red brick buildings