Jamshedpur : Through your esteemed publication (The Avenue mail), I wish to humbly draw the attention of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi towards some important issues and demands of people of the East Singhbhum, in particular, and Jharkhand, in general, during his visit to the steel city on April 24.
1. We want the Union I&B Ministry to set up a Doordarshan studio in Jamshedpur so that the local talents could be promoted.
2. Ghatsila should be made a separate district comprising Baharagora, Chakulia, Dhalbhumgarh, Ghurabandha, Ghatsila, Musabani and Dumuria blocks. Currently, these blocks are under the Ghatsila sub-division of East Singhbhum. The distance from Baharagora to its headquarters at Jamshedpur is about 100 km, which makes it difficult for the local residents to communicate to solve their problems.
3. There is just one Jawahar Navodaya Vidhyalaya (under Ministry of Human Resource Development) in the district at Balikudia. Since the district has a large population (a large percentage being tribals) and area, one more JNV should be opened here. Palamu and Pakur districts in Jharkhand have two JNVs each.
4. The work under Subarnarekha Multipurpose Project (SMP) should be completed on a war footing. The project, which has been running since the 1970s, is plagued by lots of corruption. The project is yet to be completed, but the wall of the canal at Chakulia has already started cracking.
5. Proper scrutiny of the roads made under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana should be ensured. The tar/ pitch of the road start erupting within 3-4 months after construction. The boulders left on the roadside make it more dangerous to ply.
6. Facility of fire brigade service should be provided to every block in the district. Presently, the government fire tenders are available at Jamshedpur, Ghatsila and Baharagora. Fire tenders are required at Potka and Patamda blocks of East Singhbhum district too.
7. Internet facility and computer education should reach the remotest villages of Jharkhand so that dream of e-panchayat becomes a reality.
8. The branch post offices in the rural areas should have facility of speed post and e-money orders. In addition, banking records should be maintained using computers.
9. The Subarnarekha River should be made pollution free. It is the life line of Chandil sub-division and East Singhbhum district, but it is becoming increasingly polluted due extensive mining and industries. Through a RTI, I came to know that the state government has not sent any proposal to the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climatic Change to make the river pollution free.
10. Rural tourism spots like Chitreswar temple at Baharagora, Harina Temple at Potka, old palace of the king of Dhalbhum at Narsingarh (Dhalbhumgarh block), Burudih dam at Ghatsila etc should be developed so that the villagers could get employment. Also, efforts should be made to make them popular among the citizens in the urban hubs.
The list is endless; these are few to be mentioned to make the PM’s dream of “Gramodaya se Bharat Uday” become a reality.
Archan Prakash Mandal