Bokaro, Sept 12: Bokaro Steel City Railway Station, a vital hub for both freight movement and passenger transportation in Indian Railways, is poised for a significant transformation. It has been selected as part of the ambitious “AMRIT Bharat Station Scheme” and earmarked for redevelopment at an estimated cost of Rs 33.5 crores.
The AMRIT Bharat Station Scheme, a nationwide initiative by Indian Railways, is set to revitalize and modernize 1309 railway stations across the country, with the aim of enhancing passenger experience and infrastructure.
Bokaro Steel City station, located in the Adra division of South Eastern Railway, holds immense importance due to its strategic location in one of the country’s major industrial areas. It plays a crucial role in serving the city of Bokaro and the surrounding region, known for its abundant mineral resources.
The station is well-connected to key railheads and serves a substantial population. Moreover, it is in close proximity to prominent industries, including the Bokaro Steel plant, thermal power plants, and cement factories. Bokaro is also home to several tourist attractions, such as Jawaharlal Nehru Biological Park, Garga Dam, Tenughat Dam, and City Park.
The proposed Master Plan for the redevelopment of Bokaro Steel City Station, with an estimated cost of Rs 33.5 crores, envisions a state-of-the-art facility. Key features of the redevelopment include:
- Iconic Contemporary Design: A new station building will be constructed with an iconic contemporary design.
- Segregated Arrival & Departure Facilities: The station will have separate provisions for arrival and departure, enhancing passenger convenience.
- Multi-Modal Integration: The project aims to integrate both sides of the city, with adequate parking facilities and multi-modal integration to facilitate smooth traffic flows.
- Passenger Amenities: The station will offer spacious concourses with world-class facilities, retail spaces, cafeterias, recreational areas, executive lounges, and business meeting zones.
- Digital Displays: Passengers will benefit from better passenger information systems, digital displays, and signage for travel-related information.
- Accessibility: The station will feature foot overbridges, lifts, and escalators to ensure passenger comfort.
- Inclusivity: Facilities for differently-abled passengers, free Wi-Fi, fire-fighting arrangements, and stalls promoting local products are part of the plan.
Bokaro Steel City Railway Station’s transformation is expected to greatly improve infrastructure and enhance the overall passenger experience, marking a significant milestone in the station’s history.