Mail News Service
Jamshedpur, April 6: A fire broke out at Sakchi market on Wednesday afternoon. Goods worth several lakhs were gutted in the fire, sources said.
Sources said the fire broke out in the top floor of the Fashion World shop. Local traders tried to douse the flames. Fire tenders were rushed to the scene. After an hour, the fire was controlled finally.
Sources said the fire could spread to hundreds of shops and lead to a major disaster as all the shops are closely spaced.
The shop owner Kuldeep Singh said an electrical short circuit could be the reason behind the fire mishap.
Domestic appliances burnt by short circuit
Seraikela, April 6: Domestic electrical appliances worth over a lakh were damaged due to a sudden short-circuit in several households of Irrigation Colony in Seraikela in the early hours of Wednesday.
Sources said the mishap occurred after a 440 volt overhead cable came in direct touch with the household supply cable due to waving of a tree’s branches. As a result, 440 volt current started flowing in the household circuits. Fans, coolers, fridges, mobile phone chargers and other domestic electrical appliances were burnt in the locality.
Chhaya Singh, a local resident, said, “Two fans in my house were burnt. The incident happened due to the negligence of the electricity department. Had they removed the overhanging branches of the tree in time, this mishap would not have occurred.”