Jamshedpur, April 16: Goods worth lakhs of rupees were gutted as fire broke out in five shops situated near Tata Motors Hospital under Telco police station at 5 a.m. on Saturday.
Soon the incident was reported to the fire brigade who pressed two fire engines into service and doused the fire.
Fruits shops, cold drinks and snacks shops were burnt to ashes and the owners have estimated the losses to be worth several lakhs, as refrigerator and other items have been burnt.
The reason behind the fire could not be ascertained, but the shop owners guessed that an electrical short circuit may be the reason. The shop owners have appealed the DC for compensation.