Jamshedpur, April 12: Industrial equipment worth over Rs 1.5 crore were gutted in a fire that broke out in an office-cum-godown at Sashtrinagar Block No 3 under Kadma police station area in the wee hours of Tuesday. The property belonged to Suman Enterprises owned by Suman Singh, a resident of Adityapur.
According to information, an electrical short-circuit triggered the fire at the office-cum-godown housed at Pandey Building, leading the building owner Daya Shankar Pandey to inform the fire-brigade. By the time the first fire-tender arrived at the spot, the fire had engulfed the entire godown. Three fire-tenders took an hour’s time to douse the flame.
Officer-in-charge, Kadma police station, Shankar Thakur confirmed that the fire was triggered by short-circuits and spread across the office-cum-godown of Suman Enterprises which was a supplier of industrial goods to Tata Steel and Tata Motors.
“A major mishap could have taken place but the police and fire-brigade rushed to the spot immediately after getting the information,” said Thakur. The officer in-charge said three fire-tenders were pressed into service.
Suman Singh’s husband, Puspendra Kumar Singh, who looks after the business, said that they were informed about the mishap at about 2.10 a.m. by the building owner Pandey. He said before informing him, Pandey had already informed the police as well as the Golmuri-based Jharkhand fire services.
Puspendra, when asked, said as per a rough estimate, property worth over Rs 1.5 crore were gutted in the fire. He said the fire brigade had done a commendable job as they prevented the fire from spreading to other areas.