Saturday, April 10, 2021
spot_img
Array

One worker dies, eight others injured as gas leaks from Narsing Ispat at Kandra

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Jamshedpur : In a shocking incident nine workers fell sick, one of them fatally as gas leaked at Narsing Ispat Ltd at Khunti village under Kandra thana area in the adjoining Seraikela-Kharsawan district on Friday noon.

The victims were exposed to carbon monoxide gas and were rushed to Tata Main Hospital where one of them, Budhram Mahto (30) died, while the rest others were admitted in the hospital.

The gas-hit victims include two officers of the sponge iron company — Paritosh Hazra( 42) , operation in-charge and M Sai Kola Ravi (40), project manager (Mechanical).

Hazra, whose condition was better, was taken to a private nursing-home in Chandil, where he is said to be out of danger. The rest of the victims have been admitted at the Tata Main Hospital’s high dependency unit.

Other admitted at the TMH are Shivcharan Mahto (45), Tapas Mahto (30), Mohammed Mumtaz (45), Sanjay Poddar (39), Suchan Mahto (30) and Vishnu Mahto (40).

A senior official of the company said that the mishap took place at about 11.45 am while a section of workers beside the two officers were engaged in a maintenance job at the blast furnace.

It is really shocking but the situation is now under control. The company has two blast-furnaces. One was in operational condition and another was shut down for maintenance job.

About 10 workers beside the project manager Kola Ravi and operation in-charge, Hazra were on a platform closed to the blast-furnace where the maintenance job was on.

But suddenly all those who were there collapsed and fell on the platform. One of them who, was standing at a little distance away screamed attracting the attention of others who were busy in their duty below on the ground.

Within the next 15 minutes we rescued all those fell on the platform and arranged for providing immediate medical relief,” he narrated.

Set up in 2008, Narsing Ispat Ltd produces iron ingot has capacity of 100 tonnes each. The company sources said that there had never been such a gas-leak mishap earlier.

“Production was stopped and there was a shut down where the gas-leakage took place. We had taken all necessary safety measures before starting the maintenance job at the shut blast-furnace, but how the CO leak.

We will examine it thoroughly,” claimed the official.

Seraikela-Kharsawan superintendent of police, Indrajeet Mahatha had arrived at the Tata Main Hospital soon after getting the news of the gas-leak incident.

“We are investigating the mishap. We think this is a case of negligence as so many workers including two officers got exposed to Carbon Monoxide gas during a shut-down job.

It should be thoroughly investigated,” said Mahatha.

The Seraikela-Kharsawan SP also visited to all the injured workers and ensured that they are getting proper medical care on behalf of the company management.

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

5,000FansLike
2,000FollowersFollow
8,000FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles