Friday, June 2, 2023

Jharkhand empowering women farmers with mini-tractors, power trailors, rotavators


Women farmers being trained and equipped with modern agriculture equipment

Ranchi, July 7: Jharkhand government is committed to encourage women workforce in the state agriculture sector.

The government’s commitment to empower women farmers and improve agriculture with adoption of new techniques and technology could be seen in a number of measures. The state government has been working intensively on increasing the female workforce in the state’s agricultural sector. With this goal, the government has taken a new initiative towards the empowerment of women farmers.

Under this initiative, the women self help groups (SHGs) are being provided with mini-tractor and power-trailers.  SHGs of different districts have been provided with mini tractors and power trailers. This initiative from the government is not only empowering women farmers but it’s also transforming the entire agriculture system across the state. Women members of SHGs working in the farm fields, using modern technologies is becoming a common sight.

For the financial year 2020-21, the government has allocated a budget for 380 mini tractor and 94 power trailers which will be distributed across 24 districts. Till now, 57 mini-tractors and power-trailers have been distributed among SHGs of seven districts. Among these, Gumla with 16 tractor distributions tops the list whereas 10 tractors were distributed in Lohardaga, 9 in Ranchi, 8 in Ramgarh, 6 in Giridih and 4 each in Dhanbad & Khunti districts.

Intending to create a sustainable environment for this initiative, the government is providing training to the members of SHGs. The women members of SHGs are being trained for the operation of mini-tractor and Power-Trailers.

Around 90 percent of the cost of these machines is borne by the government and the remaining 10 percent is being paid by the women SHGs. Soon the government will also start distributing other modern agricultural equipment to SHGs. It is aimed that the introduction of new and modern equipment will augment the active participation of female members of the society in agriculture, leading to a prosperous rural economy and boost the agricultural economy at large.

“ The government is running multiple schemes in the field of agriculture. Through schemes like Agriculture Machinery Promotion Scheme (AMPS), the government aims to ensure the prosperity and financial freedom of the state’s women farmers,” said chief executive officer (CEO) Jharkhand State Livelihood Promotion Society (JSLPS), Nancy Sahay.

In an attempt to increase women participation in the agriculture sector in Jharkhand department of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Cooperative started distribution of tractors and rotavators among women in the state capital and other districts.

Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Cooperation Minister Badal Patralekh said that the State Government is taking many steps to increase the participation of women in the field of agriculture. In this direction, tractors and rotavators are being given to 425 women groups of the State on 80 per cent subsidy, he added.

The Minister said that under the leadership of Chief Minister Hemant Soren, many schemes related to farmers are being operated in the State, in which emphasis is being laid on agricultural mechanization along with distribution of seeds, fertilizers. He informed that the State Government is giving 425 tractors and rotavators to the excellent women group in the first phase.

“For these agricultural machines, Rs 4 lakh is being given by the Government as a grant, while about Rs 1.25 lakh has been given by the women’s group. The machines would be distributed in the presence of public representatives in all the blocks,” said Badal. At the same time, he said that in the next 4 years, there is a target to provide assistance to 24 lakh people associated with agriculture. In order to empower women, small groups of women are being connected with the agriculture sector, he added.

The women group to whom these tractors are being given have been fully trained and they have also been given training in driving. He said that all tractors have been insured and registered for one year. Soon distribution will also be done among selected women groups at the entire state level, he added.

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles