Friday, December 1, 2023

Jamshedpur’s Corona curse: From zero to 500 in 55 days, still climbing

Jamshedpur, July 6: With a surge in the number of Coronavirus positive cases, the tally has now crossed 500 in just 55 days in East Singhbhum district alone. The first positive case was reported on May 12 and within 55 days it has reached 504 cases. At Tata Pigments, a subsidiary of Tata Steel, alone 15 employees have been tested positive. The company premises have been sealed after the cases came to the light. Seven new containment zones have come up at Jugsalai, Baridih, Sonari, Parsudih and Baghbera. �

At Tata Main Hospital alone 400 patients have been admitted. About 332 patients are from East Singhbhum, 59 Saraikela Kharsawan and Jharia 9. Of the 400 admissions 303 have travel history, 53 had contact history, 7 were from containment zones in Jamshedpur and 37 had no contact/travel history. About  8630 tests done till date and 663 tests have been positive (many patients have been tested multiple times).   

District epidemiologist, Dr Asad the number of cases is rising fast and what is a matter of concern is that the most of the fresh cases are having no travel history.

The Kolhan Division which was under green zone, came under coronavirus map with two persons testing positive at Chakulia, under East Singhbhum district on May 12. However, with the arrival of migrants the figure has reached 400 mark. Several other persons tested positive have travel history from Maharashtra, Delhi, Gurugram and Chennai. They had arrived in the city and were staying in quarantine centres in different parts. All the positive cases have been shifted to Tata Main Hospital Covid wing.

The city has witnessedtwo death till now. A 71-year-old man who was a resident of Sonari died of Covid-19 at the Tata Main Hospital on Saturday at about 1 pm.   About an hour later an 88-year-old woman who was admitted at the Tata Main Hospital died of pneumonia at the hospital.  The hospital authority sent the swab sample of the deceased for examination to the MGM Medical College, where the test report came out Covid-19 positive at about 11 pm.

East Singhbhum district civil surgeon, RN Jha said that the 88-year-old woman who was a resident of Baradwari in Sakchi had been admitted at the Tata Main Hospital on June 21 for treatment of pneumonia, but three days after her admission, the patient had complaint of breathing problem she had been subjected to Coronavirus test result of which had come negative.  She had, however,been shifted to an isolation ward at the Tata Main Hospital for the treatment of pneumonia.  But after she died late on Saturday afternoon, as per the protocol, the administration got a swab sample for the test again.  Incidentally, this time the swab sample of the deceased came positive at about 11 pm.”

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles