Jamshedpur : Panic spread as about 15 workers fell ill at Usha Martin, a steel manufacturing unit at Gamharia in the adjoining Seraikela-Kharsawan district on Friday afternoon , after leakage of blast furnace gas. Those seriously ill were rushed to Tata Main Hospital.
Those who have been admitted at the Tata Main Hospital were Labh Kumar Thakur, Shyam Mukherjee, Sunil Mahto, Nandlal Pradhan, Sauqat Ali, CR Thakur, Bhopna Majhi, Sitaram Murmu, Chotu Mandal, and Sunil Gupta.
The gas leakage took place at BF -1 of the Usha Martin, the leakage continued for about half-an-hour.
An official of the company said that 10 workers of the company fell sick after there was a leakage in the BF -1.
The workers were immediately taken to the hospital. He said the management was taking all necessary care so as to ensure that the workers may recover from the illness as early as possible.
“There was no smell at the plant when the gas leak started. I realised that it must be a gas leak only after watching the fellow workers falling down one after another. Then only we raised an alarm and informed the control room for switching off the gas supply line. ,” said a worker.
Blast furnace gas contains carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen and nitrogen and is used as fuel gas in a steel smelting plant.
It is dangerous to inhale as the presence of carbon monoxide is about 30 percent.