Saturday, December 9, 2023

Forces target Kanhu Munda squad�s camp at Ghurabandha

Jamshedpur, July 2: A fierce encounter between CRPF and Naxals took place at Jillingdumri under the Ghurabandha police station area of Ghatshila sub-division in East Singhbhum at around 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Acting on a tip-off, the security forces had started a search operation to locate the Kanu Munda squad�s camp area bordering the Ghatsila sub-division.

Police suspect that CPI (Maoist) rebels of Kanu Munda squad had launched an attack on the Dhanbad-Jhargram MEMU Passenger train at�Kokpara on May 19.

The rebels opened 7-8 rounds of firings, though no passengers were injured. They assaulted the driver, guard, assistant driver and station master of Kokpara before fleeing with their cell phones and three walkie-talkies.

The police claimed the rebel squad operating a camp triggered indiscriminate firing at a patrolling party of the CRPF, but as the latter retaliated, the armed Naxals sneaked into the nearby jungle. Though the encounter continued for about an hour, no casualty was reported from the CRPF’s side. However, the paramilitary authorities were not sure whether or not there was any casualty on the Maoist’s side.

When contacted, SP (Rural) Md Arshi said the ultras opened fire on the joint patrol team of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) while they were conducting search operation. The forces retaliated and the Maoists fled after more than an hour of encounter during which around 100 rounds were fired from both sides.

�We have recovered detonators, tents and utensils and this only goes to show that the rebels were running a transit camp. The camp was also demolished,� informed Arshi.

The administration has increased police patrolling on the bordering areas connecting to West Bengal and has also deployed adequate number of paramilitary personnel on areas potential to rebels attack.

“The combing operation had begun here from wee hours of the day. The paramilitary forces were combing the area in jungle while carrying out the operation. �

As the forces were busing in search operation, they were suddenly sprayed with bullets, leading them to run for the cover.

Soon after, the paramilitary forces had retaliated by returning the fire,” said a police official.

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles