Mail News Service
Jamshedpur, August 31: The Jamshedpur branch of South Indian Bank along Kalimati Road in Sakchi was engulfed in fire and smoke between 2:30 and 2:45 pm on Tuesday, August 31. Books and files of records along with furniture and fixtures were extensively damaged. However, the strong room including the safe deposit locker vault remained unaffected by the fire. Bank officers and staff vacated the South Indian Bank premises in the nick of time and no injury was reported.
South Indian Bank’s Jamshedpur branch manager, Hemant Kumar stated, “Business was being transacted in the branch as usual until the fire that started in the record room and soon spread across the entire branch premises. All customers present and staff members filed out of the branch and thus were unharmed. The files and other record documents as also furniture and fixtures have been extensively damaged. Cash and lockers however are safe.”
It took two fire tenders more than two hours to douse the flames but smoke continued to bellow from inside the bank’s premises for a much longer period. Local businessman and social worker, Rajendra Sachdev along with nearby shopkeepers and colony residents responded immediately and helped the bank staff to evacuate and to gain control over the fire until the fire brigade arrived.
Hemant Kumar added, “Records of accounts and other banking transactions are intact as they are regularly updated electronically to our central office.” When asked about the expected amount of loss to furniture and fixtures, the manager expressed his inability to state the exact amount as he said that only after the surveyor completed his investigation and depreciation value applied could a figure be arrived at. He however said that customers’ interest was in no way affected.
Although the exact cause of the fire could not be known, it was suspected that it could have been caused by a short circuit.