Jamshedpur, Oct 13: On October 14, 1958, the steel city welcomed Dr. Ludwig Erhard, then Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Economics, Germany, who visited India to participate in the Bank-Fund Conference held in New Delhi from October 6-10, 1958.
Dr. Erhard travelled to Jamshedpur from Calcutta (now Kolkata) in a special train. He was accompanied by Dr. Wilhelm Melchers, German Ambassador to India, Sardar Swaran Singh, Union Minister for Steel and B K Nehru, India’s Commissioner for Economic Affairs in USA.
At Tatanagar Railway Station, Dr. Ludwig Erhard was received by JRD Tata, then Chairman, Tata Sons, J D Choksi, then Vice-Chairman, Tata Sons, Sir Jehangir J Ghandy, then Director-in-Charge, Tata Steel, government officials and many Germans working in Jamshedpur along with their families.
Dr. Erhard was taken around the Jubilee Park and Steel works. He was pleased to see Germans working shoulder to shoulder with Indians and lending their technical skills for the industrial development of the country.
In the two million tonne programme of the Company, Schloemann’s 46’’ Blooming Mill, Demag’s Sheet Bar and Billet Mill, Sack’s Medium and Light Structural Mill, Lurgi’s Sinter Plant and Didier’s Coke Oven Battery bear testimony to close Indo-German ties.